Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chevron Station, Needles, California


This week we drove to Prescott, Arizona along I-40--not our usual route, but one that was necessary due to the intense heat wave. We pulled off at the River Road exit in Needles for a break and landed at the Chevron station. The big surprise was all of these murals on a cement wall out back. 

A quick web search revealed that the artist is Dan Louden, and that he painted these murals in 2011. He based them on old photographs provided by the owner of the Chevron station. It turns out that Louden has painted murals all over town, most of them in color, at sites like the Really Good Jerky building, the Wagon Wheel Restaurant, and the Best Western Colorado River Inn.


There's a good article about Dan and these murals available online from the Needles Desert Star. (I tried to include the link here, but Blogger wouldn't let me--it's easy to Google the article, though.)



We were here before 10 am, and the temperature was over 100 degrees. After a few minutes of standing on the blacktop taking these pictures, I felt woozy--the heat coming off the asphalt was intense! As I was taking this shot in front of the Chevron, a guy came out, smiled and said, "Welcome to Needles!" I said, "Where it's hot, hot, hot!" He replied, "I wouldn't have it any other way." Spoken like a true desert rat!