Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cactus Heaven

We wrapped up over overnighter in Pasadena with a visit to The Huntington gardens. On weekends the Cactus Conservatory is open, so we headed there first. We'd been warned that they close the conservatory if the temperature inside reaches 100 degrees. That could easily have happened later in the day, but at 10:30 am, it was very comfortable. We never get tired of marveling at the amazing cacti and succulent specimens here.

I'd forgotten how big the outdoor cactus garden is. It's a hike! It's also the only cactus garden I've ever seen with heat lamps. (How does that saying go--"I've a feeling we're not in the Mojave any more.")

I can't tell you the name of this wonder, but it has orange dingleballs the size and shape of grapes. Trippy.

Barrel cactus worshippers, unite! You can tell which way the sun travels. Masses of single varieties like this bring to mind Lotusland in Santa Barbara. Though I don't know if I've ever seen such glorious golden barrels anywhere else.