Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stormy Weather


As was true all over California, the big news this week has been the weather. We got our share of both rain and snow, often in the same day. The ruts along our dirt road are the biggest we've ever seen! The above photo was taken early in the week from the foot of our driveway, before the ruts really got started.


There was drama in the sky as clouds moved in and out with lightning speed.



This morning we woke up to a final dusting of snow and a temperature of 26 degrees. I put on my parka over my robe, pajamas, and long underwear and went out to take these pictures just after the sun came up.





Bunny tracks everywhere!














I climbed the hill behind our house and took this picture looking west. Geologic time fascinates me. I love these hills because they're younger versions of the rockier outcroppings around our house. In who knows how many thousand years, the dirt will be eroded away and they'll be rocky outcroppings, too.